Monday, June 13, 2016

Courage

School's finally out! Yay! I can actually post stuff semi-regularly! ^_^
For this week's Diva Challenge, Beads of Courage, I decided to do a fairly simple Rixty-inspired string of beads. We're leaving for New York tomorrow (!!!) and also going to Rhode Island for my CZT seminar (!!!!!) so I still haven't had a whole lot of time to draw but without AP tests and finals and the ACT hanging over my head I can finally really start focusing on it.

Tangles used: Rixty

And, now, to a rare moment of somberness here.
I think Laura has a special skill for creating challenges that aren't just inspiring and fun, but also can really reach out to people and be genuinely meaningful under certain circumstances. This week was one of those circumstances for me.
Most of you have probably heard about the horrible shooting at a gay nightclub in Orlando on Sunday. If you haven't, I'll direct you to this NY Times article. Around two years ago, before I had this blog, I emailed Laura in early October about National Coming Out Day, asking if she would create an LGBT-themed challenge to help support the community. She did, and I've always been grateful to her for it. We've come a long way in the US since October 11, 2014, but events like these are sobering proof that hatred and prejudice still exist. The strength and courage of the LGBT community is incredibly moving for me, and I want to add my voice to the chorus of people supporting them. And I want to ask everyone who reads this if they are willing to as well.

Thank you.

-Daniel

15 comments:

  1. Keeping to your serious note just briefly, please stress that many of us not in the LGBT community and, for that matter, not in the States, support these ideals and abhor violence in any form as well as the targeting of specific groups. Prejudice and violence have a tendency to go together unfortunately. No-one deserves what happened there and no-one has the right to carry out such an attack. Enough.

    It feels a little bathetic to move on to your Challenge tile but I really like the simple representation with a twist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to address the murders in my blog post this week too. Tangling is fun, but there is much evil and prejudice out there that must be combated. I suspect that the killer did target the LGBT community in his rampage, but there are also news reports that first he cased Disney World. He probably decided that their security was too intense, so he went for the soft target. I've been in despair for the human race for most of yesterday and today. Today's challenge was a welcome momentary diversion. I'm glad you'll have more time for tangling this summer. I take it you'll be a senior next year---i.e. even busier. Congratulations on doing the CZT training. We had a few men in our group---but mostly women of a certain age. ;-) Believe it or not, we can be fun too. In light of today, I think your beads tile strikes just the right note, somber with a pinprick of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great simple Rixty beads tile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel, first, congratulations on your future certification seminar. Second, a simply elegant tile. Third, I join you in supporting our LGBT community as we mourn the victims of yet another act of senseless violence. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad times indeed. I can only ditto what has been said above. Enjoy your CZT training. You will LOVE every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course I support This LGBT community!!! The sadness in our world (today another killing in France) is heartbreaking and we all have to try not to be effected by fear. You did a good thing mentioning it here on your post!!!
    I like your beads of courage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post - thank you for that. I also enjoyed your tile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice words you have written Daniel, when we support each other, we can become even stronger than before and we never give up our democratic values, never!!!
    I like the uncomplicated but beautiful way you have drawn your beads.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was far and away the worst but there were 43 shootings that day. 43! We can and must do better than this.

    Lovely tile and beautifully written blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful words and a simple and beautiful tile!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, what a well worded blog. I love it when everyone gets together and supports each other. Why can't everyone do this? Those poor people need these beads of courage too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Daniel, love your very simple tile and I ditto all of the above comments. Your statement was well said!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply designed, very nice. Godspeed. Have a blast in PVD. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Daniel. Beautiful beads, and beautiful post. As the grandmother of a transitioning grandson the violence really struck home. I love this grandchild to the moon and back, and support him in every way, but I also fear for what might lie ahead for him. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well said, Daniel. Thank you for your words.

    ReplyDelete